Whitney Cummings Juggles Two Different Shows This Season


American comedienne and actress Whitney Cummings is halfway to having a great autumn, so far.

Whitney Cummings co-created and co-produces the show '2 Broke Girls', which premiered Monday to 19.2 million CBS viewers. What could make this season her best ever is if her eponymous NBC sitcom, of which she is also executive producer, does well, too.

The 29-year-old comedian said she doesn’t feel like she’s competing with herself so far - especially because they’re on different nights, with the CBS show airing Mondays and 'Whitney' showing on Thursdays.

'You know, that’s funny', Whitney Cummings tells The Associated Press.

Whitney Cummings says, 'I don’t really think we’re competing, and they’re two different shows, although both of them I’m incredibly proud of'.

'2 Broke Girls' follows the adventures of two waitresses who meet and become roommates. Her partner behind the show is Michael Patrick King, who also directed and wrote for 'Sex and the City'.

'I don’t think anybody’s better at making comedy about women in New York, so I can’t wait to watch both of them', Whitney Cummings says.

'Whitney' is a relationship ensemble show that has drawn comparisons to 'Friends'.

'That’s a huge compliment', Whitney Cummings says.

The characters on ‘Friends’ were all really funny and had their own thing and were all very specific and fully developed. That was always my goal. Each character should be able to have a spinoff show, you know.

Whitney Cummings grew up on a steady diet of television and honed her comedic chops by watching sitcoms like 'Three’s Company' and 'The Cosby Show'. She’s best known for her stand-up and her appearances on Chelsea Handler’s late-night show on E, 'Chelsea Lately'.

The actress says fans of her comedy will hopefully see it in her character on 'Whitney'.

Whitney Cummings jokes, 'there’s no difference between me and my comedy and my character, solely because I’m lazy'. 'It’s important people who do know me from my standup recognize me on the show. That’s what got me here'.